Friday 1 May 2020

Horspath Past - 2010 Cherwell League Title Triumph

THE 2010 season has to go down as probably the most momentous in Horspath's history. Controversially placed in Division 5 of the Cherwell League following the demerger with Oxford in 2004, the club completed a remarkable rise by claiming the Division 1 crown for the first time just six years later.

That wasn't the club's only success, though, as the second, third and fourth teams won Divisions 6, 7 and 10 respectively to complete an unprecedented four-timer. To top it all off, Horspath were named as Club of the Year at the Oxfordshire Sports Awards at Oxford's Kassam Stadium.

Here we feature the game which saw the club become Division 1 champions, with Ned Murray the stand-out performer on the day with a century in a 101-run victory over Cumnor at the Recreation Ground. Graham Scott, the former Cumnor and Abingdon Vale batsman, was the Oxford Mail's Cherwell League correspondent at the time, and as part of the coverage he focused each week on his 'Match Of The Day', which is reproduced here. Interestingly, Graham has since become a regular face on the BBC's Match Of The Day in his role as a Premier League referee.

In his report, he says 'the result was never in doubt once Ned had compiled an impressive 102, Robbie Eason stroked 48 and Jehan Mohammed blasted an unbeaten 49 to take their side to 255-3'. Cumnor then collapsed to 74-7, before Miles Hammond, who has recently had his contract with Gloucestershire extended until the end of the 2022 season, put up some resistance with 43. But the title was Horspath's when he was bowled by Paul Jeacock as the visitors succumbed for 154, with Lee Mason taking 4-36 and Jeacock 3-15.

It meant Horspath had won the league with two games to spare and stretched their unbeaten run to 32 games going back to May 2009. It also earned the club promotion to the Home Counties Premier League.

Ned, who now lives in Brighton where he has played since for Glynde & Beddingham, recalls: "It was the league-winning game and it had a festival feeling, but games at Horspath often are like that because you get lots of support. You feel a bit of a pro playing there because people actually watch you rather than there being one man and his dog.

"We batted first and I had a decent partnership with Robbie. We always had a good understanding. Jehan upped the tempo. I remember him smashing a straight six over the scout hut. It was quite a big game for him in the first team and it was an inspired knock.

"I was probably a bit knackered at the other end and I think I got to a hundred just before the end of the innings. To make 255 was a decent score. The bowling performance was a typical Horspath squeeze and the game was nearly over at 74-7 when Miles came in. I don't remember a huge amount about their innings, but I remember Jakey taking the final wicket and the celebrations that night.

"I remember Stompy (the late Jonathan Stobart, team manager) having a drink for the first time I think for about 25 years. I think he had a Bulmer's cider. I have very fond memories and they were a really good bunch of lads. Everyone says they don't have regrets, but I kind of do when I left Horspath and moved to Brighton and stopped playing when I was 22 or 23. I was in the best form I had been in.

"I didn't play for four or five years as I was teaching and took the cricket myself on Saturdays. I was a bit sad to have left then, but I have amazing memories of all those league wins over the years and that was a great day. Halfway through the 2009 season I don't think I had scored a run until about June and I went up to the Combe Knockout. It's a lovely place to play. I remember the cherry tree behind the bowler's arm. I got the scrappiest fifty and never looked back. I was just in really good form after that."

Reflecting on that title-winning side, Ned, who by that stage of the season had scored 565 runs at an average of 57, says: "It was probably the best team unit I have ever played in including Oxfordshire Youth and Development and even teams in Australia.

"I felt this side was particularly good. Obviously it was under Robbie's leadership with his pugnacious style. I mean that in a complementary way because we all know Robbie wears his heart on his sleeve and I thought I responded to that type of leadership. And there was the legendary manager Jonathan 'Stompy' Stobart. They were a great combination organising the side. Jonathan did a lot of the administration and the kit started getting very professional around that time.

Former England batsman Mark Butcher urged Horspath to
go for glory at a special pre-season training session
"The core of that side had been together since we demerged when I was about 15 and Terry Bishop managed the side and I batted at No 6. It felt like the culmination of five seasons. We won so much over those seasons and rarely lost a game. There was a huge amount of emotion after all that.

"It was our third season in Division 1, having had two strong seasons. Winning was a habit for us. My whole adult life was playing cricket at Horspath and winning games. That's why you play. It's a great feeling when you win and not so when you lose, so it makes you appreciate those wins. Just looking at who was playing in that game seven of the 11 players had all come through the youth system, so it's very much a Paul Smith and Max Eason XI, which I think is remarkable.

"There were a lot of players at the top of their game. Robbie and Will (Eason) had been doing it for years even though they were still pretty young. Robbie was always churning out runs I think he was mainly batting at three then and Will has taken a hatful of wickets. Mossy (Mohson Rana) was probably bowling the fastest I have seen him bowl. That season he was one of the quickest bowlers I have played with and he was doing that on the back of DJ-ing the night before!

"Lee Mason and Paul Jeacock were absolute legends and I loved playing with them. They brought professionalism to the team. We always trained well and twice a week, which was probably more than other clubs were at that time. Lee was one of the best bowlers I have played with. He was unplayable that season and Jakey had an impact every week."

Posted by: Russ